Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thrift Store Gold!

For the past several months I have been looking for a suitcase for Avalyn. It sounds like an easy task, but I assure you it's not! Luggage (even for kids) is expensive and I can't see spending $40 on a suitcase that a kid will outgrow. Enter the thrift store...

I found the coolest rolling luggage, it's pink with black zippers (I love pink and black together), and it has six places to stash stuff (well seven if you count the little pouch that clips onto it). Needless to say I jumped on it when I saw it. All of the other suitcases and backpacks there were marked between five and eight dollars so I knew I would be getting a deal even though there was no price tag on it. I looked it over and it was pristine. As in never used. There were no marks on it, the desiccants were still in it, and it was clean. How lucky is that? When I took it to the counter I asked how much it was an my jaw almost hit the floor when the cashier said two dollars. There is only one imperfection (for me anyway): It's personalized with a name.

Yes, I know Clara isn't Avalyn's name. ^_~

The "Clara" is going to have to go. Sorry to Matt's Grandma Clara, and the folks over at YHL, but I've got to change it. Even if it did say "Avalyn" I would change it. I guess I'm not comfortable having Avalyn's name on her things for strangers to see. I think I'm going to bring it to Alfie (remember the place I worked two years ago?) and see if they can remove it and add a cow or Avalyn's initials to it. Or maybe I'll sew a patch over it... hmm...

Either way two bucks is a steal! I'm super duper excited! I kept bringing it up to my mom today because I couldn't believe it. I looked up the place the bag is from and found out how much it would be to order one and I got even more giddy. I love me a good deal! 


It is from personalcreations.com and it is listed at $39.99. The reviews are pretty good, and I will agree with the main complaint: It doesn't stay upright. It's not a big deal to me, but I can see it being a problem for those who spent full price. 

If I wasn't super pregnant (considered full term now!) I would do a happy dance. But instead I will just wave my arms like a crazy person and write a blog post about it. :) My super pregnantness (it's a word) is why I'm so excited. I packed a hospital bag for Matt and me, for Nicolas, for Keith, and now Avalyn's is ready to go! Just in time! Well, technically I'm not due for three weeks, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

Has anyone else found a super awesome deal lately? I know I'm not the only one who enjoys going to thrift stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment