Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sleep Issues

No, Avalyn is not having any problems sleeping. She's wonderful!

However, I need to vent about some of the insanity I've read on the web lately. I do not believe in letting a baby "cry-it-out" not one bit. As far as I'm concerned a baby cries because they need something. They don't cry to manipulate or control their parents. They're babies for crying out loud! They could be hungry, need a diaper change, be uncomfortable or just need comfort etc.

It kills me to read about parents doing this to their child(ren). Plus, there are still doctors out there who advocate it. They say that the baby learns to accept that crying won't get them what they want. What?! That's how a baby communicates! Take that away and what do they have?

In reality the baby realizes that their parents aren't coming and they can't count on them. The baby shuts down! Isn't that heartbreaking? Babies don't understand that at night it's time to sleep and parents don't want to get up. They don't understand why mom and dad take care of their every need during the day but won't help them at night. It makes me want to cry!

I was told that I just haven't been at my wits end yet so I don't know. Whatever, crazy-person-who-has-no-idea-what-my-life-is-like, I have been at my wits end and I have put Avalyn in her cradle and walked away for a minute or two to catch my breath. But it was only a minute or two. I can't let her cry by herself longer than that. It kills me. And I think it's total bull that "it hurts the parents more than the baby." I can hear my daughter when she cries and she's hurting (not physically) and she needs me.

Newsflash folks: Babies need their caregivers! Yes, it's hard to give and give and give and lose sleep and not be able to do your own thing... but when that child smiles at you... it's so worth it!

Who cares how you get your baby to sleep, either? Why do they have to "learn to do it themselves" when they can't even sit up on their own? Avalyn falls asleep after nursing. Sometimes she falls asleep after playing. Sometimes she wants to walk around the house. And then there are the few days she falls asleep on her own. Even fewer days she wants me to lay down next to her. Do I fall asleep the same way every night? No. Sometimes I'm so tired I just crash. Other times I watch tv, or play sudoku, or read... why does a baby have to do the SAME thing every night? They're human too, right?

Okay, I'm done venting. And I hear Avalyn waking up. I'm going to see what she needs. Because she does need something. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment