Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Master Bedroom Mood Board

I'm not very good at these, but with Matt's bonus around the corner I'm thinking a change is in order. I already have the paint, and most furnishings. I just need to get off my bum and get things done! Matt is even on board with my choices. How odd because he hates green... better not ask too many questions!


Can you see my vision? I hope so, I didn't leave a lot to the imagination.

The dresser is close to what we have now. I couldn't find a picture online since I bought the thing seven years ago at Art Van. But the color and mirror are right, so this picture is serving it's purpose.

The ceiling fan right now is brass with faux wood blades. I found an awesome tutorial through Pinterest on how to paint a ceiling fan, so I'm going to give that a shot. The faux wood will stay the same but the brass will become an iron color (the hardware on my dresser is iron as well).

Next, I plan on painting my wall lamps (also bronze). I'll do those in an iron color as well. Probably at the same time as the fan... heck, I'll probably do the ceiling fan in the living room then, too. Kill four birds with one stone. Woot!

That brings me to what I'll have to purchase. First on the list is a headboard and bed frame. Right now our mattress is on the floor. Classy huh? I found a bed frame on overstock.com for $79.99, but I hope to find one used somewhere cheaper.

Speaking of overstock.com, that's where I found the headboard I like! It's composite with MDF so I might have to build something like it because $175.05 seems like a lot for a fake wood headboard. Hmm... Maybe I'll just forgo the bed frame and headboard purchase and make something instead. Ana White has a great plan on her site for a King Size Storage Bed. Maybe if we alter the plans and make the bed a bit longer we can add a bookshelf headboard. I like that idea. My guess is we'll spend the same amount for a better quality bed we'll enjoy more. Keep looking at the headboard in the picture above, though, because I really like that look!

The bedding is what I'm most excited about. Matt actually liked it. He hates green! I found it at Bed Bath and Beyond on clearance for $89.99. I would love to get it before it's gone but I don't think it's in our budget right now. Darn!

Those brown pillows are on clearance there, too, for $23.99. I love them! They are floor pillows, so I'm thinking we can make a bench for the end of the bed to store sheets and things and those pillows can be the cushions.

I will either make the nightstands and paint them green, or I will search second hand shops, garage sales, and craigslist for something. Either way, I'm not buying new! Nightstands are expensive!

The curtains pictured are from The Land of Nod and are a whopping $39.99 per panel. Yikes! Clearly I'll be looking for something different. My guess is the fabric store will have a similar fabric I can work with. I've gotten pretty good at making curtains so that's no biggy. Bet I can make four panels for $39.99 or less. Dare me?

Do you see the weird pattern behind the curtains in the picture? I'm going to buy some black out shades (love those things) and paint them. They're awesome but super ugly so I decided to beautify those babies by painting them. I'll let you know how it goes!

Finally the carpet. Right now it's a dark green color. Not exactly what I want. It will cost us around $350 to recarpet the bedroom in a more neutral tone. Keith's was done this summer for that amount, including install, so I plan on using the same carpet (it's so soft) in a different color for our room. Here's what it would look like with the current carpet. Yuck, huh?

Ahh much better! Carpet really does make the man... er master.

I can't wait to get started on it. I seem to be starting upstairs and working my way down. Probably because the farther down the stairs I go the more expensive the design ideas get! I'm estimating this to cost us around $1,000, but I don't plan on doing everything at once. This idea is much brighter than I'm used to but it seems relaxing at the same time. What do you think? Too much, too little, or just right?

No comments:

Post a Comment